Monday 28 September 2015

Pattern- Work diary

Evaluation
The objective of this assignment was to capture the formal element of pattern through photography.  This was a more difficult element to capture due to the fact that pattern has a lot of crossover between line and texture and the location that I was shooting at did not have a great deal of patterns present and those that it did were largely comprised of lines for example zebra crossings.

Favourite image


1/480, F5.6, ISO 80


This is my favourite image because of the way in which the buildings structure creates a number of different shapes depending on how you look at the image.  I am also drawn to this image because of the contrast between the light and dark elements of the structure.

Least favourite image


1/60, F5.6, ISO 200


I dislike this image because of the way in which the pattern in the images leaves are not the focus of the image a way to achieve this appearance would be to shoot closer to the leaf, use a shallow depth of field or a macro lens.

Progression
For this formal element I encountered many of the same issues that I had with texture such as struggling to keep the camera still and in focus when zooming in.  If I were to repeat this shoot I would consider the use of a tripod and looking macro photography.  I would also plan to take the photos on a brighter day as it was extremely overcast when I took the images meaning that I had to regular use the flash setting on the camera to capture the vibrant colours of the image unfortunately this sometimes created an overly saturated and poorly lit image.

Aspiration

I would like to be able to produce images of the high quality and variety displayed in Anne Belmont's work.






1 comment:

  1. the overall template for a work diary would be to explain the outcome through technique (camera settings, dof, shutter speed, etc.), connotations, denotations (through composition, formal element). Otherwise well done..

    ReplyDelete